PIAZZA TARLATI (PIAZZA GRANDE)

Piazza Pier Saccone Tarlati has occupied the original nucleus known as the “Forum Biblinensis” since the first half of the 11th century. At the end of the 13th century the square seems to have served as a parade ground, and was overlooked by the Castle. During the following centuries the Castle was razed to the ground a number of times by Florentines. Around the middle of the 18th century, the square probably had the following shape: on the north side were the Clock Tower and the ruins of the Castle; in the middle, a well was located. Fifty years later, the appearance of the Piazza was radically transformed when the local authorities constructed the New Chancery (1773), now Palazzo Bruni, on the ruins of the ancient castle. The 19th century saw substantial urban redevelopment of the town centre aimed at providing services and infrastructures.
A radical transformation of the square took place in 1920 when the Casa del Fascio (House of Fascism) was built on the west side. This building now houses the Town Library.

Scroll to Top