PROPOSITURA S. IPPOLITO MARTIRE

It is the ancient Parish castle converted into Propositura (www.parrocchie.it/bibbiena/propositura/propositura.htm) from September 4, 1744. The first historical information regarding the Pieve of Bibbiena are dated from VII century when the building of cult, dedicated to Saints Ippolito and Cassiano, was located in the small town of Castellare. The oldest definite document of Pieve is dated 979.
Some of the documents from the early twelfth century refer to the chapel of Tarlati’s castle Greek cross oriented.
After the battle of Campaldino, occurred on June 11, 1289, in which the bishop of Arezzo Guglielmino Ubertini lost his life and Arezzo were defeated by the Florentines, the old parish church suffered irreparable damages. The chapel was rebuilt and used as a public church. Since that time it became the parish church. Towards the middle of 1500 the building was extended by exploiting environments in the nearby and in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries was weighed down by structures of baroque style, in the early years of the twentieth century, in futther stages, were dismantled.

Scroll to Top