ORATORIO DI SAN FRANCESCO
The building was commissioned by the “Compagnia delle Sacre Stimmate” (Company of the Sacred Stigmata) of Bibbiena between 1736 and 1782 (www.comunedibibbiena.ar.it).
The façade was completed in 1879 and presents a rigorous Neoclassical style. It is composed by a gable supported by four semi-columns resting on a high base; the main entrance is framed by two rectangular niches surmounted by semicircular windows.
The interior presents a single nave and it is sumptuously decorated with stuccos dating back to 1755-1756. The frescoes were painted by Giuseppe Parenti around 1770.
The addition of elements in a strong Rococo style and the refined work suggest a possible intervention by Antonio Galli Bibiena for his hometown. In fact in those years he was engaged in the restoration of the Pergola theatre in Florence ( www.fondazioneteatrodellapergola.it).